Please fill out this Affordability Calculator to determine if you will qualify for a Habitat for Humanity Home, prior to filling out the application.
Habitat for Humanity Detroit sells homes to qualified home buyers for an affordable mortgage. Approved homeowners qualify for a monthly housing payment (mortgage, insurance and taxes) equal to 30% or less of their monthly income. To qualify, you must have need, the ability to pay for your new home, and the willingness to partner with Habitat Detroit. Click here for complete list of qualifications.
Our current open application period is June 15 – August 15. Along with your completed application, a required $50 Application Fee (non-refundable) must be received. You must also supply copies of the documentation listed below.
Required Documents for Applicant and Co-Applicant:
NOTE: We do not accept originals nor will we be able to make copies for you.
- Copy of Tri-Merged credit report (3 scores) for applicant & co-applicant from U-Snap-Bac (14901 E. Warren Ave., Detroit 48224; 313-640-1100).
- Copy of last 8 paystubs for every working adult in the household.
- Copy of complete, signed and filed Tax Returns (1040s) for 2014 & 2015.
- Copy of all W-2s and 1099s for 2014 and 2015.
- Copy of valid driver’s license or State ID (front and back).
- Copy of birth certificate and/or green card/proof of residency.
- Copy of Social Security Card.
- Copy of 2016 FIA/SSI Income Statements or 2016 award letter (if applicable).
- Copy of Section 8 Voucher (if applicable).
- Copy of Child Support Documentation – last 4 months of income OR child support order (if applicable).
- Letter signed & dated from all nonworking adults in the household (age 18 or older if not in college) stating that they are not currently employed (if applicable).
If preferred, you may download this Intake Application and mail it or submit it to the Habitat Detroit office (14325 Jane Street, Detroit 48205).
You may also pick up an application from the following locations:
- Habitat for Humanity Detroit Office – 14325 Jane Street, Detroit 48205
- Habitat Detroit ReStore West – 12630 Greenfield Road, Detroit 48227
- Habitat Detroit ReStore East – 17181 Mack Avenue, Detroit 48224
- Habitat Detroit Construction Sites – Morningside and Lincoln Park
- City of Lincoln Park
- U-SNAP-BAC – 14901 E. Warren Avenue, Detroit 48224
Please send any questions to HomeInfo@HabitatDetroit.org. You will receive a response within 48 hours.
Habitat for Humanity Detroit complies with the U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We support an affirmative advertising and marketing program in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, or sources of income.