On Saturday, February 27, Habitat for Humanity Detroit held its 5th Annual Red Carpet Bash, sponsored by Lear Corporation, at the beautiful Fillmore Theater in the heart of Detroit.
This evening included many visual artistic expressions including:
- Models in dresses made from household items like bubble wrap, caution tape and paint swatches designed by Matthew Richmond of The Paper Dress Code
- The opening art exhibit gallery of the “Opening Doors of Opportunity” collaborative campaign with College for Creative Studies
- Opening dance choreography by Dave Summerlin and Next Level Dance Company
The event’s primary purpose was to honor the “stars” of Habitat Detroit – its volunteers, sponsors, community partners, homeowners and supporters.
Habbie Awards were given out to specific individuals in the following categories:
- Construction Volunteer of the Year: Craig Erzen
- Non-Construction Volunteer of the Year: Dorothy Rothgery
- ReStore Volunteer of the Year: Ernie Medeima
- Blazing Blitzer Volunteer Award: Vaughn Tolliver
- Newbie Volunteer Award: John Sims
- Scot Norris Super Hero Volunteer Award: Grosse Pointe Partners
- Lifetime Achievement Award Recipients: George Nicholson III and Jack Frakes
- Sponsor of the Year: Delta Airlines
- Faith Partner of the Year: Bethany Lutheran Church
- Community Partner of the Year: J.E. Clark Preparatory Academy
- Homeowner of the Year: Aretha Theus
Thank you to all for attending and supporting Habitat for Humanity Detroit.